Okay, okay – forget the profit….
I cobbled this little spray booth up out of mostly left over project wood. I have been trying to get back into doing a little bit of car modeling but I also wanted something that would let me paint small automotive parts inside instead of having to wait for decent weather outside on a piece of cardboard.
My photos aren’t too great but most of it is pieces of plywood. I think the sides are 1/2″ while the top and bottom are 3/8″. I bought a 6″ fan, 120v that I mounted in the rear upper corner – think that was $9, the furnace filter was $4 and the really expensive item was the hose ducting which was $13. I also picked up a lazy susan piece for just a few dollars and I made my own part holders using blocks of 2×4, pieces of coat hanger with electrical clips epoxied to them. I had a couple of regular bulb holders left over from converting most of the recessed ceiling lights in the house earlier this year to LEDs and put those in the upper corners with leftover LED bulbs. I did purchase a $3.00 extension cord to hook it all together. There is no switch, I just plug it in to turn on the lights and fan. As you can see, it has good lighting. I also had a leftover cabinet door handle that I mounted on top to assist with moving the spray booth around. I sealed all the joints with some household caulking. It works surprisingly well, creating a good draft that pulls the fumes and over-spray to the rear and through the filter. I was actually kind of shocked at how evenly the filter has picked up the over-spray, I really expected it to be more concentrated in front of the fan location. Besides the hood lock piece in the photo, I have shot most of one 1/25 model kit – a 1971 Camaro – in the booth so far. I am using regular spray can paint at this point and have not tried my air brush yet. The booth is large enough that I can probably shoot a small block Chevy intake manifold. The wood rail at the top of the booth while providing a mount for the lights is also spaced back a little bit from the top so that I can hook coat hangers from it and hang parts if needed. I have also seen booths constructed with poly-board on a wood frame. That is probably lighter than what I have here but again this was mostly leftover wood scraps. Just a little something different in the project department.